The Mortar Staff is a Hardmode sentry summon weapon that has a chance to be dropped by Molten Mortars. On use, it summons a friendly stationary Molten Mortar minion for 2 minutes that launches exploding cannonballs straight up, which crashes onto nearby enemies to deal damage in an area.
Its best modifier is Ruthless. The Mythical modifier provides the widest array of stat bonuses, but these primarily affect the initial summon rather than the resulting minion. Additionally, Minions cannot deal critical hits. The only significant advantage a Mythical Mortar Staff has over a Ruthless one is knockback.
- Once cast, the player can switch to another weapon and the Mortar will remain.
- Its bombs hit multiple times and do area of effect damage, hitting all enemies caught in the radius of the explosion.
- The Molten Mortar remains even if the player dies.
- The Mortar Staff can be useful during invasions, and in combination with other sentry style Summon weapons.
- Unlike most Summon weapons, the Mortar Staff has a strong knockback, making it useful for crowd control.
- As the Molten Mortar can begin spawning as soon as Hardmode begins, you can acquire this staff immediately after defeating the Wall of Flesh. This can make a lot of early-Hardmode trials much easier, and it remains useful for most of the game thereafter.
- 22.214.171.124: Buffed damage from 48 to 54.
- 126.96.36.199: Sprites updated.
- 188.8.131.52: Effect updated.
- 184.108.40.206: Decreased damage from 50 to 35 and, mana cost from 20 to 15.
- Decreased damage from 60 to 50 and knockback from 7 to 6.
- Increased use time from 14 to 20.
- 220.127.116.11: Introduced.